US Futures Mixed Before Housing, Jobs Data
NEW YORK (AP) â¿¿ U.S. stock futures were mixed Thursday, with the government reported that the number of people applying for unemployment benefits last week barely moved.
Dow Jones industrial futures rose 16 points to 14,424. S&P futures have tacked on 0.60 points to 1,550. Nasdaq futures slipped 2.25 points to 2,783.
The Labor Department said that assistance applications rose 2,000 to a seasonally adjusted 336,000, which is better than most had expected.
Economists rely more on the four-week average, and that number actually fell 7,500 to 339,750.It's the smallest number of applications since February 2008, which was about the time that the economy began to seize up. The employment picture is improving in part because the nation's housing sector has bounced back so quickly. Homebuilding permits jumped to their highest level in 4 Â½ years in February, and the National Association of Realtors is expected to report after the market opens Thursday that sales of previously owned homes rose last month to a seasonally adjusted rate of nearly 5 million. At least five homebuilders saw their shares hit new annual highs Wednesday. KB Home, the country's fifth-largest homebuilder, topped Wall Street expectations for the first quarter and reported a jump in new home orders on Thursday. Shares of the Los Angeles company jumped 3 percent before the opening bell, putting its shares on pace to reach five-year highs when trading starts.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV