SAN DIEGO, March 21, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Sequenom, Inc. (NASDAQ: SQNM), a life sciences company providing innovative genetic analysis solutions, today announced that Sequenom Center for Molecular Medicine (SCMM) has launched an advanced new cystic fibrosis carrier screen test branded under the name Heredi-T™. The laboratory-developed test (LDT) is now available as a testing service to ordering physicians.
The Heredi-T Cystic Fibrosis (CF) test analyzes 136 mutations and five variants proven to be clinically relevant in causing CF, integrating disease causing mutations selected from the Johns Hopkins CFTR2 database ( http://www.cftr2.org). The LDT analyzes nearly six times the number of mutations currently available in other screening methods and can be performed preconception or at any time during pregnancy with a DNA sample obtained from a buccal swab.
"The Heredi-T test provides significant new clinical value, offering highly reliable information about a patient's risk of being a cystic fibrosis carrier," said Bill Welch, President and COO of Sequenom. "This introduction adds to Sequenom CMM's leadership in prenatal testing and supports our mission to help health care providers and their patients make more informed clinical decisions through the use of advanced genetics."
The American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) recommends cystic fibrosis carrier screening for all patients. According to ACOG, additional screening consideration should be given to patients with the following, as these clinical indicators increase the risk of CF:
- Family history of CF in the patient or partner's family
- Ultrasound findings that indicate an increased risk for CF
- Bowel or dilated loops of bowel
- History of male infertility
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV