The track record is there. This is a stock that was trading as low as $25.33 last May. Even at $33 a share, that is an increase of more than 30%. While it is possible that Oracle is at the end of its run and the market is simply correcting itself, I think it is more likely that this is a brief downturn in an otherwise strong history. It is too soon to say whether the poor revenue from software and cloud subscriptions could be a tell-tale that the company's strategy of acquiring smaller companies just isn't working.
Last week, the company purchased private cloud infrastructure management software company Nimbula. Oracle described Nimbula's products as complementary to what the company currently offers and said that such products would be integrated into its existing offerings. So, it is quite possible that Oracle has identified a need and bought Nimbula to correct the issue.
In Oracle's conference call, the company said that it was not at all pleased with its revenue growth and reaffirmed its belief in its existing portfolio, saying it has a lot to leverage in its pipeline. The company acknowledged that it has some work to do, noting specifically that it needs to train all the new hires in making the sales the company needs. Oracle also said that customers may have held off on buying new hardware in anticipation of its upcoming product releases.
I think those arguments may have some merit. I say buy now before the market realizes Oracle is really a sleeping giant.
--Written by Renee Butler in Seattle, WA
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV