NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Years ago I remember years making a vow to myself that I would never buy an airline stock. If it wasn't rising fuel prices it was the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks. If it wasn't 9/11, it was some problem with the fuselages. It never ends.
History will point to more bankruptcies in this industry than any other sector of our economy. If it is not a pilot strike, it's a mechanics strike and on, and on and on.
But I have been really surprised recently to see the strength in the transportation sector. This is the sector made up of boring stocks such as airlines, railroads and trucking companies.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV