USW Members Deliver Petition To Governor Abercrombie Requesting Help To Keep Tesoro Refinery Operating
KAPOLEI, Hawaii, March 20, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- United Steelworkers Union (USW) activists from Local 12-591 delivered 5,000 petitions this morning to Governor Neil Abercrombie, requesting his help in finding a buyer for Tesoro's Kapolei refinery.
The activists also requested that the governor appoint a USW representative to his committee that is examining the effect of a Tesoro refinery closure on the Hawaii economy. The USW represents the majority of workers at the refinery.
The USW expects a response from the governor."Shutting down the Tesoro Kapolei refinery is going to heavily impact our community," said Local 12-591 unit chair Pat Koge. "Not only will 210 high-paid refinery jobs be lost, but so will 2,000 other jobs that are dependent on the refinery and workers' paychecks." l. "Turning the refinery into a terminal and importing fuel is likely to bring higher gas prices and possibly supply problems. Why should the fuel be refined overseas when we can do it right here at home and not throw people out of work?" Koge said. The USW is the largest industrial union in North America and has 850,000 members in the U.S., Canada and the Caribbean. The union represents workers employed in metals, rubber, chemicals, paper, oil refining, atomic energy and the service sector. Contact: Lynne Hancock, USW, 615-828-6169, email@example.com SOURCE United Steelworkers (USW)
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV