These companies all have terrific management teams that have crafted incredible images. Their planned and unplanned marketing campaigns tend to go off without a hitch. They know their respective audiences and they each serve them so well.
Consider how Starbucks took off and ran with digital. Just an outstanding example of brilliant competence. They have reached some sort of scale with a tech-friendly, mobile customer base so they took technology to them in a way no other retailer really has. For as much as Whole Foods is tapped into its core shopper, it could learn a lot from Howard Schultz and Adam Brotman's innovative strategies.
TheStreet's Dan Freed made an excellent case for McDonald's marketing last week in another must-read article. McDonald's tends to make its customers feel good about themselves, whereas Wal-Mart (WMT), despite its seemingly well-intentioned pitch of "low prices," makes them feel like losers.
If we learned anything from Apple when Steve Jobs was alive and even more so now when's he gone, it's that image and marketing mean a ton. Apple once had this down. LULU, SBUX, WFM and MCD pretty much always have and definitely do. That's not changing anytime soon.LULU may continue to feel pressure, but if you're a long-term investor -- I'm talking a multi-year, not multi-quarter time horizon -- it probably makes sense to scale into a position on every noise-related pullback. There's not much structurally wrong with Lululemon's grand plan to expand mindshare and market share geographically and across existing and forthcoming product lines. Follow @rocco_thestreet -- Written by Rocco Pendola in Santa Monica, Calif.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV