American Humane Association, MyPetzLife, and Top Minds in Science, Healthcare, Philanthropy and Business Analyze Implications, Interconnectedness of Human, Animal Welfare
Human-Animal Bond Reexamined for Unsuspected Mutual Benefits
March 20, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- In the first national conference to focus on the transformative impact of innovation and technology and their crossover applications for human and animal health, America's top leaders in science, medicine, philanthropy, and business will examine how breakthroughs in the fields of human and veterinary health can be accelerated through collaborative research involving all family members (animals and people), especially as catalyzed by new devices and technical advances.
Among many other topics, the
national conference, "Transforming Human-Animal Health and the Human-Animal Bond through Technology and Innovation," will discuss precision-driven, predictive, personalized, preventive, and participatory healthcare for both humans and animals using mobile technology. Global teams of medical and veterinary researchers will work together, identifying clues for health and disease amongst the over 60,000 vertebrates species living on the planet, thereby increasing the relevance of discoveries in animal health to human health (and vice versa). New paradigms are already being driven by genomic discoveries and are poised to have a transformative effect on animal and human wellness. The use of technology and crowdsourcing will identify health trends and environmental risk factors, and provide for personalized medicine….allowing for the human-animal bond to rise to a new level as all members are afforded better health.
A panel of distinguished speakers will be led by Dr.
, Chief Veterinary Adviser for American Humane Association. The distinguished roster for this half-day conference includes:
- Dr. Stephen O'Brien (Opening keynote), former Chief of Laboratory of Genomic Diversity at the National Cancer Institute (NCI), National Institutes of Health, and author of Tears of the Cheetah
- Amanda Bowman, Conference Director & Co-founder of MyPetZLife
- Kip Frey, CEO, Dognition, who has a long history of running and investing in start-up companies, including Ventana Communications Group, Accipiter, and OpenSite. Companies Frey has run have generated over $1 billion in investor returns.
- Lara Fontaine, Vice President, Strategy & Portfolio Solutions, Pfizer Inc.
- Dr. Robin Ganzert , President and CEO, and Dr. Patricia Olson , Chief Veterinary Advisor for American Humane Association
- Dr. Clay B. Marsh, Executive Director for Personalized Health Care and Vice Dean for Research at the College of Medicine at Ohio State University
- Michael Mentesana is the Global Pharmaceutical and Life Sciences R&D Advisory Services Leader for PwC. His area of expertise is in leading the development and deployment of new strategies, processes, and technology.
- Dr. Barbara Natterson-Horowitz (Closing keynote), cardiology professor at the David Geffen School of Medicine at UCLA and author of the acclaimed Zoobiquity
- Dr. James Serpell, Director, Center for the interaction of Animals & Society, School of Veterinary Medicine, University of Pennsylvania
- Dr. Jeff Trent , President & Scientific Director for TGen, which focuses on the study of genetic changes related to cancer predisposition and progression
- Dr. Chris Wasden , US leader of PwC Healthcare Strategy & Innovation Practice
- Dr. Brad Weinberg , Founding Partner of Blueprint Health, a healthcare-focused accelerator in NYC
Commenting on the conference, American Humane Association President and Chief Executive Officer
Robin R. Ganzert
, Ph.D., said, "American Humane Association is privileged to have the opportunity to bring together such a distinguished group of scientists, health care and business leaders together to showcase how the human-animal health and the human-animal bond are being transformed by innovation in both human and animal medicine, and how interconnected the two are."
of MyPetzLife added, "Since its founding in 1877, American Humane Association has been on the forefront of virtually every major advance affecting the welfare of children and animals. It is immensely gratifying to see this wonderful organization lead the way in illuminating the advances that are not only transforming the delivery of health care to humans, but the promise this holds for improving the quality of life and well-being of children, animals, and entire communities."
The conference, will take place
8 am-1 pm
at PwC headquarters, 300 Madison Avenue.
For more information
, please call
, (202-677-4213) or
For sponsorship opportunities
, please contact
About American Humane Association
American Humane Association is the country's first national humane organization and the only one dedicated to protecting both children and animals. Since 1877, American Humane Association has been at the forefront of virtually every major advance in protecting our most vulnerable from cruelty, abuse and neglect. Today we're also leading the way in understanding the human-animal bond and its role in therapy, medicine and society. American Humane Association reaches millions of people every day through groundbreaking research, education, training and services that span a wide network of organizations, agencies and businesses. You can help make a difference, too. Visit American Humane Association at
MyPetZLife is an organization focused on bringing innovation is human healthcare to our Pets for a longer, healthier life.
SOURCE American Humane Association
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts