U.S. Should Welcome Asian 'Anchor Babies'
Chinese anchor babies who later reside in the U.S. offer another big benefit to the U.S. Chinese parents will raise these children in China before returning them to the U.S. for an advanced education. Once they have completed their educations, these Americans can be great resources for American companies that want to access the abundant opportunities in the 21st century's largest market opportunity. They are bound to also be great ambassadors for American-style freedoms back in China.
Having more hard-working Americans with needed skills at a time of declining American competitiveness seems like something liberal and conservatives could agree to embrace.
The framers of the 14th Amendment, ratified in 1868, may not have been able to foresee the rise of anchor babies. They did, however, probably recognize that people who see in America the chance for a better life for their children will always be key to keeping America as the standard-bearer for innovation.
Since then, innovation has played a large role in making the U.S. economy the world's largest, even though our population is currently one-fourth China's. America could ultimately lose its "largest economy" title because of the size of its population, but losing its status as the world's greatest innovator due to factors under its control would be a real pity.This article is commentary by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV