New Study Finds 1 In 4 Think Their Families Resent Them For Having Diabetes
ARLINGTON, Va., March 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Four out of every ten people with diabetes say their families don't fully support their efforts to manage their diabetes, one in four resent them for having diabetes, and three in 10 think their families blame them for getting diabetes, according to a new survey conducted by HealthEngage among its users in the United States.
The national survey, which included type 1 and 2 diabetics, was specifically designed to collect information about how people with diabetes perceive the sentiments and attitudes of their family towards them.
Additional insights include:
- 57% of respondents say that their families don't make sacrifices in their lives to make it easier for them to manage their diabetes.
- 50% of respondents believe that their families are afraid of their diagnosis.
- 55% believe that their families are living a healthier life as a result of their diagnosis.
- 30% say that their families join them in their exercise or physical activities.
- 25% of respondents believe their families are ashamed of their diagnosis.
- Those who said their families did not fully support them did a significantly poorer job of managing their diabetes than those who said they had their family's support.
HealthEngage Research PlatformThe survey is the first conducted using HealthEngage's new online research platform, which allows surveys of its 150,000+ diabetics in 176 countries to be conducted in minutes or hours instead of days or weeks. It also provides a unique real-time visualization dashboard of key metrics (including demographic data, medication usage, glucose and other test averages, food, exercise, insulins, and over 30 other data types), which can be used to dig deeper into the data and spot trends and opportunities like never before.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts