Credit Suisse analyst Kulbinder Garcha believes Apple is getting ready to announce a lower-end iPhone for a few reasons. He believes Apple will not only update the iPhone 5 later this year, but Apple will also announce a low-end iPhone, which will not only help Apple increase its market share but profit share as well. Garcha, who recently cut his earnings estimates, rates Apple "outperform" with a $600 price target.
There's been much speculation not only from Wall Street, but the media as well about Apple and a lower-end iPhone. There's concern that it would dilute Apple's brand, but CEO Tim Cook tried to assuage these concerns, saying Apple would never release a bad product.
"The only thing we'll never do is make a crappy product," Cook said at a Goldman Sachs conference in February. "We're going to make a great product. And so that's the only religion that we have is we must do something great, something bold, something ambitious."Even if Apple does make a lower-end iPhone, it would not be that dilutive to the brand, Garcha notes, and could have higher margins than people think. He pegs the price of a lower-end iPhone at $329, with 38% gross margins. That's lower than the gross margins Apple gets on the current version of the iPhone, but it would be in line with Apple's margins overall. A lower-end iPhone would not just be good for market share, but could provide as much as $21 billion in revenue and $5 per share in earnings by 2015. "Assuming Apple introduces a $329 iPhone in 2014 and starts to gain share in these lower price bands, we believe it could capture 40% share in the $300-$400 market," Garcha notes. Shares of Apple were higher in premarket trading, up 0.49% to $456.72. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV