MONTREAL (TheStreet) -- Valeant Pharmaceuticals (VRX) is acquiring Obagi Medical Products (OMPI), a maker of dermatology and skin-care products for $360 million in cash, the companies announced Wednesday.
Under terms of the deal, Obagi will be acquired for $19.75 per share, which represents a 28% premium to the stock's Tuesday close. Valeant expects the acquisition, once completed, to be immediately accretive to earnings.
Valeant is a specialty pharmaceuticals company that has grown aggressively through acquisitions over the past several years, starting with the merger between itself and Canadian drug maker Biovail in December 2010. Since then, Valeant has expanded its pipeline of generic and branded pharmaceutical products through multiple acquisitions.
Obagi markets a portfolio of prescription skin-care products that generated $120 million in revenue last year.Ahead of the deal announcement, Valeant shares closed Tuesday night at $71.44. -- Reported by Adam Feuerstein in Boston. Follow @AdamFeuerstein
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV