More Poochi Than Gucci
LONDON, March 20, 2013 /PRNewswire/ --
• Thomas Cook reveals one in ten Brits buy their pets a holiday gift
• On-flight purchases of dog toys outnumber sales of women's fragrance
• More than 10% take pets on holiday with themBrits have well-earned a reputation as a nation of pet lovers, with owners sparing no expense to ensure their furry friends have the best in creature comforts. After splashing out an estimated £595 million on gifts for their beloved pets at Christmas, research from Thomas Cook has revealed that the season of good will is far from over in a lot of dog owner's minds. With many willing to forgo their penchant for in-flight designer purchases in favour of the happiness of man's best friend, it seems that the widespread availability of cheap holidays has given pet lovers more cash to splash on their four-legged friends. Proving that it's more about poochie than Gucci, the tour operator's research revealed that onboard sales of a £6 chew toy eclipsed sales of women's fragrance 'Gucci Guilty'. With one in tens Brits confessing to buying their pet a present while on holiday, pet friendly souvenirs have made their mark on all four corners of the globe. And they call it puppy love… The unbreakable bond between Brits and their pets has reached new heights according to new research on behalf of Thomas Cook, with owners reluctant to be parted from cats and dogs - even when getting away from it all on all inclusive holidays. The findings highlighted that 13% of people have their pets in tow when they head off on their annual breaks - with around 100,000 people in the UK owning pet passports. Prepare to see a flurry of Rovers and Toms sunning themselves on tropical shores or dipping their paws in the crystal clear waters of Tunisia! Even for those owners who choose to leave their pets behind, keeping in constant contact with their four-legged friends forms an essential part of their holiday itinerary. With this is mind, it comes as no surprise that free hotel Wi-Fi is one of the top criteria for pet loving holidaymakers.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts