Angkor Gold Corp Publishes Sustainable Community Development 2012 Report And Announces Participation In The Canadian Responsible Investment Conference 2013, June 17-19, Vancouver
VANCOUVER, British Columbia, March 19, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- ANGKOR GOLD CORP. (TSXV:ANK) ("ANGKOR") is pleased to announce the publication of its Sustainable Community Development (SCD) 2012 Report. The report provides an overview of Angkor's activities working with local communities in the province of Ratanakiri, Cambodia; where the company undertakes mineral exploration and project generation.
- Improved Community Organisation: 5 elected and functioning Village Development Committees and 190 families profiled.
- Improved Community Food Security: 20 family gardens created, 1700 fruit trees planted, 980 villagers actively participating in their own village development.
- Improved Community Environmental Health: family planning and health educations sessions, 12 water wells installed, over 18,000kg of medical supplies and equipment distributed.
In 2012, Angkor's SCD Team expended an estimated 8,700 hours on the SCD program at zero cost to the company by virtue of its funding originating in lieu of senior management salaries, as explained in our SEDAR filings. Angkor estimates that 75,000 people have benefitted from Angkor's SCD program since it began in 2011.Mike Weeks, Angkor's CEO & Chairman, commented, " Our Sustainable Community Development 2012 Report shows our shareholders and the Socially Responsible Investment community that we're organised, serious and making a real difference. It's a core part of our ACTION strategy, it helps provide our social licence to operate and we're very proud of the benefits it delivers to all our stakeholders. Angkor gains significant benefits from our SCD investment, particularly in terms of the operational support we enjoy. I am very confident that the scope of these benefits will expand over time - including the creation of a local pool of educated, willing workers capable of involvement in all aspects of mining operations. Indeed, during peak season our team expands to 150 people of which 140 are locals. Our community development work continues apace in 2013; we are supporting development of a medical centre with construction getting underway in the next week. And we continue to improve the education facilities of the local villages in the form of creating libraries, education sessions and providing modern, sustainable hygiene equipment." Angkor's SCD program follows the World Bank guidelines for Community Driven Development. It is also based on best practice and thought-leadership drawn from other recognised initiatives including the PDAC e3 Plus Framework for Socially Responsible Exploration, the Global Reporting Initiative and the World Health Organisation's Country Cooperation Strategy for Cambodia.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV