3 Things You Should Know About Small Business: March 19
3. Earn an MBA-lite. Teaching entrepreneurism is an increasingly growing field. More colleges and universities are offering entrepreneurship or small-business certificates as a way to help people get their businesses off the ground. They don't carry the credit or cachet of an MBA, but they take less time to obtain and cost less too, according to New York Times .
While classes cover the basics -- marketing, tax and legal issues, business plans, fund raising -- the programs are tailored to meet the needs of the surrounding community, the article says. However some say it's important that certificate programs are taught by experienced mentors.
Others say the certificate programs are preferable because they can be nimble in their offerings. Julie Doyal, program coordinator for the Northwest Michigan College's Extended Educational Services, said the college recently added classes on how to use Etsy to its small-business certificate program.
Several years ago, "who would have even known what Etsy was? And even within Etsy, it continues to change," she told The Times.-- Written by Laurie Kulikowski in New York. Follow @LKulikowski To contact Laurie Kulikowski, send an email to: Laurie.Kulikowski@thestreet.com. >To submit a news tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Follow TheStreet on Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV