ASCE Report Card Shows U.S. Infrastructure Near Failing
" It's time to stop duct-taping this problem "
WASHINGTON, March 19, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE) released their 2013 Report Card for America's Infrastructure today, awarding the U.S. an overall grade of D+ on infrastructure.
According to the report, U.S. roads, bridges, public transportation networks, water and sewage systems, school facilities, power grids, and other basic but essential public support assets have diminished to the point that a $3.6 trillion investment is needed to rescue our near-failing infrastructure systems by 2020."It's time to stop duct-taping this problem," said LIUNA General President Terry O'Sullivan. "Chronic underinvestment created the current crisis and continued failure to adequately invest in our nation's infrastructure needs only widens the gap and increases the final cost." The ASCE report found that America's highways face a 42 percent congestion rate, costing the economy an estimated $101 billion annually in wasted time and fuel. Deficient and deteriorating transit systems drained $90 billion from the U.S. economy in 2010 alone. The cost of congestions and delays at our national airports was nearly $22 billion in 2012 and will rise to $34 billion by 2020 and $63 billion by 2040. "We wouldn't want our kids to come home with a D+ and it's not acceptable for our country. It's time for Congress to put the duct tape away and put America back to work building a safe, efficient and effective U.S. infrastructure system that will pay dividends to our national economy and the American workforce for decades to come," said O'Sullivan. The half-million members of LIUNA – the Laborers' International Union of North America – are on the forefront of the construction industry, a powerhouse of workers who are proud to build America. SOURCE Laborers' International Union of North America
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV