Natural Products Association Calls For National Standard On GMO Labeling
Nation's Largest Association for Natural Products Joins Growing Movement
"People Have a Right to Know What's in Their Food," Says NPA Exec. Dir.
WASHINGTON, March 19, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The Natural Products Association (NPA) Board of Directors calls for all foods containing genetically-modified organisms to be accurately labeled under a national uniform standard so consumers can make educated decisions about foods they purchase. NPA is the nation's largest association for natural products, representing over 1,900 members accounting for more than 10,000 locations of retailers, manufacturers, wholesalers and distributors of natural products.
"This is really very simple – people have a right to know what's in their food. A national standard is the best, most cost-effective and least-confusing way to deliver on this commitment for American consumers. To have hundreds of different state and local requirements would be counterproductive and expensive. As the nation's largest association of the natural products industry, NPA is ready to play a leadership role in this effort," said NPA Executive Director and CEO John Shaw.Polls show Americans overwhelmingly support GMO labeling. An ABCNews.com survey conducted last summer found that 93 percent of Americans say the federal government should require labels on food that indicate whether it has been genetically modified or "bio-engineered." At least 22 states are considering legislation requiring GMO labeling for foods. NPA's guiding principles were drafted with NPA members under advisement of NPA staff and legal counsel to ensure they will guide the association for years to come. The principles adopted by the board include:
- NPA believes consumers have the right to be informed whether genetically modified components are in their foods.
- NPA supports and encourages the voluntary labeling on non-GMO foods.
- NPA believes that consideration of federal law promoting a uniform standard is warranted to avoid separate standards for GMO labeling at the state level.
- NPA opposes a private enforcement provision, which encourages abusive litigation, to impose compliance.
- NPA supports the FDA consistently reviewing the concept of bio-equivalency of genetically modified ingredients in light of the most recent scientific studies.
- Facebook: Natural Products Association and The Natural Seal
- Twitter: NPA National, NPA Natural Seal and NPA California
- Pinterest: NPA National
- Google+: Natural Products Association
- LinkedIn: Natural Products Association, Natural Products Group and Grassroots Action Network
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV