NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The S&P 500 fell for a third day after the Cypriot parliament defeated a measure to levy a tax on bank deposits in the small Mediterranean island nation-state, eclipsing encouraging U.S. housing market data for February.
"It wasn't unexpected, there were intimations even earlier in the day that
The S&P 500 retreated 0.24% to 1,548.34, to book a three-day losing streak, its longest in 2013. The Nasdaq fell 0.26% to 3,229.10.
The Dow Jones Industrial Average inched slightly higher by 3.76 points, or 0.03%, to 14,455.82. The blue-chip index fell off by as much as 69.97 points, before reclaiming those losses in the late afternoon.Concern grew that a full-blown Eurozone financial crisis could be in the offing if legislators in the tiny and indebted country of Cyprus are unable to reach an agreement to rescue their banks. Eurozone officials on Saturday asked the government to implement a plan to tax all bank accounts with the goal of helping to raise €10 billion in rescue funds for the island-nation. Euro zone officials were reportedly seeking alternatives to the measures, proposing to not tax bank deposits below €20,000 and to make up for the shortfall with a higher tax on deposits above €500,000. Reflecting the challenges of reaching a deal, Cypriot Finance Minister Michalis Sarris offered to resign, an overture that Cypriot President Nicos Anastasiades then rejected. The European proposal to tax bank accounts could run into opposition from the Russian government along with Cypriots unhappy about a tax proposed by Brussels to sustain the country's banks. "This would be particularly unpopular with the Russian Government, which might then refuse to extend the maturity of an earlier loan granted to Cyprus," Jennifer McKeown, senior European economist at Capital Economics in London commented in a note. The FTSE 100 in London fell 0.26% and the DAX in Germany slumped 0.79%.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV