LONG BEACH, Calif.
March 19, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- Today at the Applied Power Electronics Conference (APEC), Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) (NASDAQ: TXN) introduced the industry's first fully programmable DC arc detect reference solution. The
makes it faster and easier for designers to address a growing need to safeguard high-power DC systems, such as automobile and aircraft battery management systems, industrial factory equipment, and photovoltaic units, against the catastrophic damage that can result from arc faults. Designers can program the RD-195 to optimize the balance between arc-detection accuracy and false detection prevention to meet their system needs. The RD-195 is accompanied by a software application tool that enables alteration of threshold detection parameters. For more information or to place an order, visit
See the RD-195 demonstrated in TI's booth #109 at
Long Beach, Calif.
, or watch a video demonstration at
Key features and benefits of the
Tools and support
- Fully programmable reference solution: The arc detection threshold parameters can be configured using the accompanying software tool so that the system always detects valid arcs, while minimizing nuisance tripping.
- Extremely flexible and reliable: The RD-195 detects different types of arcs, including series, parallel and ground arcs. It is designed to operate in noisy environments with RF interference. Additionally, all signal chain components in the solution operate across the full industrial temperature range of -40 degrees C to +85 degrees C.
- Fast detection time: The typical response time of the solution is less than 100 ms, which allows the system controller to take quick action, mitigating the consequences of fires caused by arcing.
- Compliant to industry standards: The RD-195 is certified per the Underwriters Laboratories ® UL1699B standard, and is listed as a recognized device under UL1998. This helps ease and speed designers' time to market with a UL-certified product. It is also compliant with the NEC690.11 solar power safety requirements.
- Easy development with the RD-195 EVM: The RD-195 evaluation module (EVM) enables designers to evaluate the RD-195 for a variety of applications. The EVM includes TI's C2000™ Piccolo™ TMS320F28033 32-bit microcontroller with C28x core and control law accelerator (CLA), one SM73201 16-bit analog-to-digital converter (ADC), three SM73307 dual-channel precision operational amplifiers (op amps), and one SM73308 low noise, rail-to-rail output op amp. Also included are bill of materials, schematic, board layout files, software application tool, firmware licensing agreement, arc detect code with UL1998 models, and application note.
The RD-195 reference solution features a
software application tool
that allows designers to fine-tune the system's arc detection threshold levels to increase its accuracy in detecting valid arcs and avoiding false detects. Also included are reference design
Technical support is available on the
Precision Data Converters
Forum in the TI E2E
Community, where engineers can ask questions and get answers from TI experts.
Availability, packaging and pricing
arc detect reference evaluation kit is available today at a suggested retail price of
TI analog for industrial
TI is the industrial semiconductor market share leader, providing a diverse portfolio of analog integrated circuits (ICs) for a broad range of applications, including Smart Grid, factory automation, high-voltage power, LED lighting and control. TI data converters, ampliﬁers, interface, isolation, clocking, and power management devices enable customers to differentiate their products, while TI software, design tools and reference designs simplify and accelerate design cycles. Learn how TI analog products improve industrial safety, efficiency and reliability at
Learn more about TI's
by visiting the links below:
About Texas Instruments
Texas Instruments Incorporated (TI) is a global semiconductor design and manufacturing company that develops analog ICs and embedded processors. By employing the world's brightest minds, TI creates innovations that shape the future of technology. TI is helping more than 100,000 customers transform the future, today. Learn more at
TI E2E, C2000 and Piccolo are trademarks of Texas Instruments. All other trademarks and registered trademarks belong to their respective owners.
SOURCE Texas Instruments Incorporated