Mobile Devices And DVRs Shifting Global Media Consumption
DVR killed the Linear Star? Not quite yet... a third of weekly content is recorded
Almost a third (29%) of all weekly content consumed is recorded. But live viewing still dominates – particularly with News – which is watched by 73% as it airs. Though DVR owners tend to watch an average of one hour more content a week, a third (36%) of all content recorded is never actually viewed. The US is the most wasteful content market, with 41% of recorded content never being consumed.
The study sheds light on the reasons people record content.
- 77% record because there is other content airing at the same time, which the viewer would prefer to watch live
- 72% are hoarders – recording to collect the box-set
- 68% globally record to skip advertisements on commercial channels, rising to 75% and 74% in the UK and US, respectively
With so many reasons to record content, it is understandable that the current hard drive limitations of DVRs cause frustration. Sixty-eight percent, globally, have had to delete content because they have run out of storage room on their device. Seventy-nine percent say this has caused frustration in their house. Women are more often frustrated than men by needing to remove recordings they have stored (26% versus 23%).Content On the Move – three quarters would like content loaded onto mobile devices Consumers across the globe are storing content on devices to watch when away from home – but the study shows this experience could be made easier. Seventy-six percent would be interested in a service that automatically loaded content a user liked to his/her mobile phone or tablet, to enjoy when on the move.
- Currently, 55% have downloaded or stored a TV program or film to at least one device
- 73% of global respondents have a laptop, versus 60% and 26% who own smartphones or tablets
- Majority of US (71%), UAE (79%) and Turkish (85%) respondents would be interested in this service
- Consumers in France, UK and Germany are less favorable to this opportunity, with only 50%, 47% and 41% saying they would be interested in this sort of service
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV