Sexual Function Improves Significantly After Hip Or Knee Replacement Surgery
"This study emphasizes the importance of including sexuality and sexual activity as an important component of evaluating the functional outcome of total hip and total knee (replacement)," said principal investigator Jose A Rodriguez MD, orthopaedic surgeon and chief, Center for Joint Preservation and Reconstruction at Lenox Hill Hospital in New York.
Hip or knee replacement does "offer improvement in sexual activity and overall sexuality to patients after surgery, especially if (sexuality) is affected before surgery," said Dr. Rodriguez.
As some patients reported a fear of damaging their new hip or knee as a reason to limit sexual activity following surgery, "it is important for the health care provider to discuss the functional status of each patient in terms of sexual activity and overall sexuality," said Dr. Rodriguez. "This could be in the form of a one-on-one discussion with patients, or (the provision) of information booklets, or both if necessary, to effectively determine and address this fear."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV