Sexual Function Improves Significantly After Hip Or Knee Replacement Surgery
More females report improvement
CHICAGO, March 19, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Osteoarthritis of the hip or knee, affecting millions of Americans each year, is known to limit sexual activity. New research presented today at the 2013 Annual Meeting of the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS) found that total hip (THR) or total knee replacement (TKR) surgery improves sexual function in 90 percent of patients.
In the study, 147 patients under age 70, scheduled for primary THR or TKR, agreed to participate in a study requiring the completion of questionnaires prior to surgery, at six months post surgery, and at one year post surgery. Sixty-five percent of patients returned all three surveys.
The group of patients included 68 men and 78 women with a mean age of 57.7 years. Among the results:
- Sixty-seven percent of the patients reported physical problems with sexual activity prior to surgery – 67 percent pain; 36 percent, stiffness; 49 percent, reduced libido; and 14 percent, inability to attain proper position.
- Ninety-one percent of participating patients reported psychological issues related to their osteoarthritis – 91 percent diminished general well being, and 53 percent, diminished sexual self image.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV