As part of our Next Invest conference, Covestor’s Mike Tarsala recently spoke with Covestor manager Eric Steiman, who oversees the Undervalued Opportunities portfolio, about the danger of falling in love with stocks.
Steiman favors a cool, analytical approach to managing his holdings. He’s more than willing to take some money off the table when a stock is doing well--or cut it loose at the first sign of trouble. Nor is he shy about offering advice about one of the most widely held stocks on the planet: Apple (AAPL).
In a recent interview with MacNewsWorld, Steiman called for Apple to consider one of the following paths: a one-time $89 dividend; a double dividend; a one-time share buyback; or ongoing share buybacks. "They have too much cash, and are making too much on a quarterly basis to not repay their shareholders," he said. In general, investors reward companies a premium P/E multiple if they use their cash in the best interests of their shareholders, according to Steiman.
Covestor Ltd. is a registered investment advisor. Covestor licenses investment strategies from its Model Managers to establish investment models. The commentary here is provided as general and impersonal information and should not be construed as recommendations or advice. Information from Model Managers and third-party sources deemed to be reliable but not guaranteed. Past performance is no guarantee of future results. Transaction histories for Covestor models available upon request. Additional important disclosures available at http://site.covestor.com/help/disclosures. For information about Covestor and its services, go to http://covestor.com or contact Covestor Client Services at (866) 825-3005, x703.The post Steiman: Never fall in love with stocks appeared first on Smarter Investing.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV