NEW YORK, March 18, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Synergy Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Nasdaq:SGYP), a developer of new drugs to treat gastrointestinal disorders and diseases, today reported its financial results and business update for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2012. Synergy is developing plecanatide for the treatment of chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC) and constipation-predominant irritable bowel syndrome (IBS-C).
- Plecanatide demonstrated tolerability and met the primary and key secondary endpoints in a large multicenter study of CIC patients. Full study results will be announced in a late-breaking oral presentation at Digestive Disease Week 2013.
- Commencement of a Phase IIb clinical trial of plecanatide to treat patients with IBS-C.
- Completion of a Phase I single-ascending-dose clinical trial of SP-333, a second guanylate cyclase C (GC-C) agonist designed to treat inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) including ulcerative colitis (UC).
- Initiation of a Phase I multiple-ascending-dose clinical trial of SP-333 in healthy volunteers.
- The company successfully completed its acquisition of Callisto Pharmaceuticals, Inc.