NEW YORK, March 18, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Synergy Pharmaceuticals Inc. (Nasdaq:SGYP), a developer of new drugs to treat gastrointestinal disorders and diseases, today reported its financial results and business update for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2012. Synergy is developing plecanatide for the treatment of chronic idiopathic constipation (CIC) and constipation-predominant irritable bowel syndrome (IBS-C).
- Plecanatide demonstrated tolerability and met the primary and key secondary endpoints in a large multicenter study of CIC patients. Full study results will be announced in a late-breaking oral presentation at Digestive Disease Week 2013.
- Commencement of a Phase IIb clinical trial of plecanatide to treat patients with IBS-C.
- Completion of a Phase I single-ascending-dose clinical trial of SP-333, a second guanylate cyclase C (GC-C) agonist designed to treat inflammatory bowel disease (IBD) including ulcerative colitis (UC).
- Initiation of a Phase I multiple-ascending-dose clinical trial of SP-333 in healthy volunteers.
- The company successfully completed its acquisition of Callisto Pharmaceuticals, Inc.
Financial UpdateSynergy's cash, cash equivalents and short term available for sale securities balance as of December 31, 2012 was $32.5 million, as compared to $13.2 million on December 31, 2011. During the year ended December 31, 2012 and 2011 net cash provided by financing activities were $52.1 million and $32.6 million, respectively. Net cash used in operating activities during the year ended December 31, 2012 and 2011 was $31.1 million and $21.2 million, respectively. Net loss for the year ended December 31, 2012 was $39.4 million or $0.64 per share, as compared to a net loss of $14.5 million, or $0.30 per share, for the year ended December 31, 2011. Net loss for the quarter ended December 31, 2012 was $12.0 million, or $0.18 per share, as compared to a net loss of $5.6 million, or $0.12 per share, for the quarter ended December 31, 2011.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV