UFCW Local 1776: House Committee Advances Bill To Destroy Thousands Of Jobs
HARRISBURG, Pa., March 18, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The House Liquor Control Committee today did a disservice to all Pennsylvanians by rushing through legislation to dismantle the LCB and jeopardize up to 17,000 jobs, said Wendell W. Young IV, President of UFCW Local 1776.
"Gov. Corbett and Rep. Turzai should be embarrassed. This bill jeopardizes the livelihood of thousands of Pennsylvanians. It's a joke," said Young, who is also President of the UFCW PA Wine & Spirits Council.
"The governor is taking a page right out of his lottery playbook: rush it through and hope that nobody notices. There's a reason why Governor Corbett's midnight raid on the lottery is opposed by over 65% of Pennsylvanians," Young added.
Young noted that this legislation is far more reaching than any previous bill on privatization. Not only does this bill threaten the 5,000 LCB jobs, but more 12,000 men and women employed by over 1,100 local beer distributors could land on unemployment as well."We don't know the impact on taxes consumers will pay – or tax revenues that the state will lose. We know that MADD and the CDC and many other public health groups oppose this measure but the Committee won't even give them the courtesy of an opportunity to be heard," Young said. "This is no way to operate a democracy." For more information, visit www.ufcwpawineandspiritscouncil.com SOURCE UFCW Local 1776
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV