Gaiam, Inc. (NASDAQ: GAIA), a lifestyle media company, today reported financial results for the fourth quarter and year ended December 31, 2012.
Conference Call: Gaiam is hosting a conference call today, March 18, 2013, beginning at 2:30 p.m. MT (4:30 p.m. ET). The conference call dial-in numbers are (212) 231-2902 or (415) 226-5355. Questions will be reserved for analysts and investors.
2012 Fourth Quarter Financial Results Highlights (Pro forma as if Real Goods Solar, Inc. deconsolidated from 2011)
- Net revenue increased $11.1 million, or 19.9%, to $66.7 million.
- Internal net revenue growth was $16.5 million or 10.0%.
- Gross profit margin improved 700 basis points to 55.3% of net revenue.
- Operating income increased $2.7 million to $4.0 million (when excluding a 2011 non-cash goodwill impairment charge of $22.5 million), despite a $2.0 million operating loss from Gaiam’s start-up digital subscription businesses, a key part of a long-term digital delivery strategy for the Company.
- Adjusted EBITDA improved by $4.2 million to $7.6 million.
Lynn Powers, Chief Executive Officer of Gaiam, commented, “Gaiam delivered solid revenue, operating income and Adjusted EBITDA growth in the 2012 fourth quarter and full year periods. The improvement in our operating results reflects double-digit internal revenue growth in our business segment and the benefit from our acquisition of Vivendi Entertainment, which together drove year-over-year revenue increases of approximately 20% and 22% in the fourth quarter and full-year periods, respectively, helping to offset the challenges that impacted our direct to consumer segment. Gaiam’s fourth quarter revenue growth combined with prudent fiscal management resulted in an increase in cash flow from operations and a more than 100% rise in Adjusted EBITDA compared to the prior-year.“In order to optimize our direct to consumer business, we recently appointed accomplished industry veteran, Andrew Davison, as President of Gaiam Brands following his award-winning tenure as Chief Marketing Officer at Crocs, Inc. We look forward to the value of his expertise and the benefit from our recently re-launched e-commerce site to support growth in our catalog and Internet businesses going forward.”