News Summary: Jobless Rates Rise In Half US States
By The Associated Press
RATES RISE: Unemployment rates increased in 25 U.S. states in January from December, the Labor Department said Monday. They fell in only 8 states and were unchanged in 17.
HIRING SLOWS: Nationwide, employers added only 119,000 jobs in January, the fewest in seven months. The lull may be temporary, as job growth picked up nationally in February and the unemployment rate fell to a four-year low of 7.7 percent.
SOME RELIEF: Some long-suffering states showed improvement in January. Florida's unemployment rate fell below the national level for the first time in five years. And Michigan, which has benefited from the comeback of the auto industry, added 26,500 jobs in January.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV