March 18, 2013
/PRNewswire/ -- Kaiser Permanente announced today that its members in four geographic regions – which serve 8 million of Kaiser Permanente 9 million members – again ranked the organization's health plans highest in satisfaction in the J.D. Power and Associates 2013 Member Health Plan Study
It is the sixth successive year that Kaiser Permanente members in
ranked the organization's health plan highest. This is the fifth year Kaiser Permanente has ranked highest in the Mid-Atlantic Region, and it is the fourth consecutive year Kaiser Permanente has ranked highest in the South Atlantic Region.
"We are extremely pleased and proud that year after year our members rate us the highest in satisfaction relative to all other health plans across the country," said
Arthur M. Southam
, MD, executive vice president, Health Plan Operations, Kaiser Permanente. "Our unique integrated care delivery model, supported by groundbreaking health information technology, enables us to provide personalized, coordinated care and service, whether in-person, via phone or online. This recognition reflects our commitment to put our patients and members at the center of all we do."
Now in its seventh year, the J.D. Power and Associates 2013 Member Health Plan Study measures member satisfaction among 136 health plans in 17 regions throughout
the United States
by examining the experience of a health plan member in key areas such as: coverage and benefits, provider choice, information and communication, claims processing, statements, customer service and approval process.
"We are honored to have the best employees, physicians, nurses and other care team members who are committed to providing our members with high-quality and affordable care and service," said
Bernard J. Tyson
, incoming chairman and CEO, Kaiser Permanente. "Millions of Americans put their trust and confidence into Kaiser Permanente, and this important recognition validates we are getting it right."
The study reflects the results of a survey completed by more than 33,000 members of commercial health plans, conducted from
. Each health plan included in the J.D. Power and Associates 2012 Member Health Plan Study was measured on a scale of 1,000 points. Details of the results in each of the regions where Kaiser Permanente ranked highest are outlined below:
- California Region: Kaiser Permanente earned 760 points, 54 points above the average score for the region and 52 points more than the next highest ranked health plan in the region.
- Colorado Region: Kaiser Permanente earned 718 points, 26 points higher than last year and 43 points above the regional average score.
- Mid-Atlantic Region: Kaiser Permanente recorded 754 points, 54 above the average for this region.
- South Atlantic Region: Kaiser Permanente earned 757 points this year, 60 points above the regional average. (This region includes Kaiser Permanente's Georgia Region.)
J.D. Power and Associates 2013 Member Health Plan Study
did not include Kaiser Permanente's
regions in its research.
This membership study by J.D. Power and Associates is the most recent in a string of accolades given to Kaiser Permanente hospitals and health plans. In the past year:
- Seventeen Kaiser Permanente hospitals were named 2012 "Top Hospitals" by The Leapfrog Group, an honor that recognizes medical centers for their outstanding success in areas such as reducing infection rates, safety practices, mortality rates for common procedures and measures of efficiency.
- Kaiser Permanente Medicare and Commercial health plans received No. 1 rankings for 2012 in 29 effectiveness-of-care measures (16 for commercial plans, 13 for Medicare plans), far more than any other health plan in the nation, according to the National Committee for Quality Assurance's Quality Compass® dataset.
- Kaiser Permanente's Medicare health plans received a 5-star rating from the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services, the highest ranking possible, in seven of its eight geographical regions.
- Kaiser Permanente was rated by the National Committee for Quality Assurance as having the three highest-ranked Medicare health plans in the nation.
For more information, visit kp.org/thrive.