RI Tied With California For Highest Jobless Rate
PROVIDENCE, R.I. (AP) â¿¿ New federal statistics show Rhode Island tied with California with a national-worst 9.8 percent unemployment rate in January.
The U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics released data for all 50 states on Monday.
That was a drop of one-tenth of a percentage point for Rhode Island from December. The state's rate has been on a steady decline, and labor officials say the economy is moving in the right direction.
The federal Labor Department says unemployment rates increased in 25 states in January. They fell in only 8 states and were unchanged in 17.Rhode Island's chronically high jobless rate has been the highest or among the highest nationally in recent years.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV