NEW YORK, March 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Ten teams of creative middle and high school students across the country are the winners of a national competition to develop mobile applications that address a need or problem in the students' communities or schools. The winning apps range from encouraging a community to do more recycling, to making it easier for students with disabilities to take notes in class, to identifying invasive plant species in lakes.
The competition, the Verizon Innovative App Challenge, was created by the Verizon Foundation in partnership with the Technology Student Association to help boost student engagement and interest in science, technology, engineering and math, or STEM. The students were asked to use their STEM skills to design app concepts that provided real-world solutions for issues in their communities or schools.
The Massachusetts Institute of Technology Media Lab will continue to work with students of the winning teams to refine their projects. Verizon will provide the teams with professional support and training to help them bring their concepts to market. In addition, each winning team's school will receive a $10,000 Verizon Foundation grant to advance STEM education, and each team member will receive the new Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1, courtesy of Samsung Mobile.
The winning teams – from five middle schools and five high schools – and their app concepts are:
- Bronx Academy of Promise, New York City – Quest Math, which helps students increase their speed in basic math computations through a mythology-themed game.
- Emory H. Markle Intermediate, Hanover, Pa. – Voice Notes, which revolutionizes note-taking for students with disabilities and organizes information to create effective study guides.
- Friends' Central School, Wynnewood, Pa. – STEAMnet, which is designed to support creative thinking and virtual collaboration, especially outside the standard school day.
- Forney High School, Forney, Texas – One|Place, which offers students, faculty and the community one location to find details about upcoming school and community events.
- Hampstead Academy, Hampstead, N.H. – Chow Checker, which easily identifies the ingredients of food products to help individuals with allergies avoid problem foods.
- Jefferson Township Middle School, Oak Ridge, N.J. – Invase Erase, which identifies invasive plant species that attack the environment and provides solutions to minimize and/or contain them.
- Rock Canyon High School, Highlands Ranch, Colo. – CaringHands, which increases awareness of global problems and allows the user to donate directly to charities supporting solutions to these issues.
- South River High School, Edgewater, Md. – Study Buddy, which helps students develop better time-management skills to get assignments done on time.
- Spalding Catholic High School, Granville, Iowa – AgNote MAX, which makes it easier to track all aspects of farming.
- STEM Center Middle School, West Fargo, N.D. – Recycling Bin, which encourages members of local communities to increase recycling efforts and reduce the need for landfills.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV