(Updates from 1:02 p.m. ET with closing prices.)
"History repeats itself again I guess ... the rate of innovation is so high in our industry that if you don't innovate at that speed you can be replaced pretty quickly," Heins said during the interview with The Australian Financial Review. "The user interface on the iPhone, with all due respect for what this invention was all about, is now five years old."
BlackBerry last week announced that an "established partner" purchased 1 million BlackBerry 10 devices, with shipments to start immediately. "An order for one million devices is a tremendous vote of confidence in BlackBerry 10," said Rick Costanzo, EVP Global Sales, BlackBerry in the press release.
Despite the verbal assault by Heins, shares of Apple (AAPL) were up 1.81% to $451.69 after a Chinese language website suggested Apple may introduce a new iPad mini. The website CNYes.com CNYes said Apple may market an upgraded iPad mini this spring. The new iPad mini would come with Retina Display, something the original iPad mini doesn't have. Late last year, speculation grew that Apple would announce an upgraded iPad mini with Retina Display, though timing was uncertain. Apple couldn't be immediately reached for comment for this story.
Glu Mobile (GLUU) shares rose 8.68% to $3.63 after Northland Capital Markets analyst Darren Aftahi upgraded shares to "outperform" from "market perform." The San Francisco-based mobile gaming company recently announced its entry into real world gambling. Glu Mobile is partnering with Probability to bring elements of Glu's popular Samurai vs. Zombies Defense to a gambling product.
Closing prices: BBRY ended Monday trading up 3 cents to $15.02; AAPL rose $12.06, or 2.7%, to $455.72; and GLUU was 27 cents higher, or 8.1%, at $3.61. --Written by Chris Ciaccia in New York >Contact by Email. Follow @Commodity_Bull
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV