Florida Unemployment Dips Beneath National Average
TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) â¿¿ Florida's unemployment dipped to its lowest level in more than four years in January when it fell to 7.8 percent.
The state's seasonally adjusted unemployment rate hasn't been that low since November 2008 when it also stood at 7.8 percent. It was also the first time that Florida's jobless rate bell below the national rate in five years. The national unemployment figure for January stood at 7.9 percent.
Florida's January rate was down slightly from December's revised rate of 7.9 percent. The Department of Economic Opportunity reported Monday that 740,000 Floridians remained jobless.
The trade, transportation and utility industries gaining the most jobs in Florida â¿¿ some 35,500 â¿¿ over the past 12 months.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV