$10 billion apparel stock Lululemon Athletica (LULU) hasn't enjoyed the same upside in 2013: Shares of the firm have slipped around 10% year-to-date despite some auspicious fundamental performance. Lululemon was a pioneer in the yoga apparel niche, its offerings coming out at the same time that the exercise started ballooning in popularity with American consumers. Lululemon took advantage of that fortuitous timing to expand its offerings to include other fitness gear as well as menswear. Today, the Vancouver-based firm also boasts more than 190 retail stores spread across the U.S., Canada, Australia and New Zealand.
Shares of LULU have been nothing if not volatile since the firm went public in 2007. But while the ebb and flow has been dizzying, the stair-step fundamental performance at the company has been consistently impressive over the last several years. So are the nearly 20% net profit margins that the company is able to generate.Lululemon's success has everything to do with demographics. By entering the yoga wear business first, LULU targeted a market of generally affluent consumers who are willing to pay premium pricing for quality, and are viewed as trendsetters by others. That positioning has been a big part of the firm's success in arcing from yoga to more general athletic apparel; the sportswear business is a saturated, competitive market, but by starting in a successful niche, the brand was able to establish itself quickly. While LULU isn't exactly a staid blue chip, this apparel stock still has room to impress investors who've been too skittish in 2013.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV