KBW recommends conservative investors should consider a more defensive stock portfolio.
Goldman's third reason for financial names to outperform the broad market is that higher returns on equity should lead to higher valuations. Financial stocks are still producing returns on equity below 10% with price-to-book ratios of 1.1, according to the firm. The returns may stay low for some time as banks meet higher capital requirements and increased regulatory costs, but the analysts see median ROE improving to 10% by 2014.
Fourth, following the results of the Federal Reserve's Comprehensive Capital Analysis and Reviews (CCAR), banks are increasing dividends and share buybacks by 16% and 17%, respectively, versus last year. "Assuming payout ratios increase by a comparable amount in 2014, effective yields could reach 6.7% for the industry (2.5% dividend yield)," according to Goldman.
Fifth, rising home prices should boost earnings. Goldman economists expect home prices to rise 3% through third quarter of 2013 and then 4% through the third quarter of 2014. Goldman Sachs financial analysts believe that a 5% rise in home prices would increase their earnings estimates by 13%. "While the recovery in housing is well understood, it continues to provide strong support for earnings and credit trends with risks skewed to the upside," the analysts wrote.-- Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj from New York
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV