BIRMINGHAM, Ala., March 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Wireless calling, text messaging and surfing the Web on the Verizon Wireless network is now easier and faster for residents and travelers in Alabama, thanks to heavy investments made during 2012. Over the course of the year, the company invested more than $100 million in network enhancements across Alabama; its ongoing network investment in Alabama now totals more than $900 million since the company was formed in 2000.
"These significant investments represent our ongoing commitment to network superiority across the state. Our 4G LTE network is revolutionizing the way Alabamians communicate and conduct business. Alabama's consumers and businesses now have the ability to connect at significantly faster speeds and with improved responsiveness, changing the way they live work and play," said Jonathan LeCompte, president – Georgia/ Alabama region, Verizon Wireless.
Over the course of the year, Verizon Wireless installed 4G LTE network coverage in 216 new cities and towns across the state, bringing the total number covered to 369. Today, over 88% of Alabamians are covered by the company's 4G LTE network, enabling them to stream video, share music and photos, download files and surf the Web with speeds up to 10 times faster than before. Verizon Wireless will continue rapidly expanding the 4G LTE network, with plans to cover its entire nationwide footprint by the end of 2013.
Other 2012 Verizon Wireless Alabama Highlights
- Proving that Montgomery loves to be connected, the city saw the highest growth in data usage in 2012.
- Football games in Tuscaloosa get people talking. Average campus usage in Tuscaloosa on game day during the fall of 2012 was over 471,000 minutes of use and over 348,000 megabytes of data usage.
- More than 1.1 trillion voice and data transmissions and more than 150 billion minutes of airtime were logged on the Verizon Wireless network in Alabama during 2012.
- Wireless 4G LTE data traffic increased more than 490% year-over-year in Alabama.
- The company launched HomeFusion™ Broadband throughout Alabama, a solution that leverages the power and speed of the Verizon Wireless 4G LTE network to deliver high-speed, in-home Internet access for residential broadband, particularly in areas where Internet options are limited or are not currently available.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts