Ciena ® Corporation (NASDAQ: CIEN), the network specialist, today announced that CenturyLink, Inc. (NYSE: CTL) recently utilized its converged packet optical platform with WaveLogic coherent optical technology to modernize and upgrade its network that spans more than 50 metropolitan locations across the United States. This deployment allows CenturyLink to offer a better range of high-speed services including 1GE, 10GE, 100GE and equivalent wavelengths to businesses in the United States and in select international cities.
- CenturyLink is the third largest telecommunications company in the U.S. and provides data, voice and managed services to businesses and consumers in local, national and select international markets and is a global leader in cloud infrastructure and hosted IT services for enterprises.
- CenturyLink is utilizing Ciena’s 6500 Packet-Optical Platform featuring WaveLogic coherent optical technology to support its in-region and national metro networks, and has deployed 6500-based 100G networks in select international cities.
- The 6500 platform will also offer integrated packet switching which gives CenturyLink agility in the delivery of groomed Ethernet services to its enterprise customers.
- CenturyLink is a Diamond partner in Ciena’s BizConnect partner program.
- “CenturyLink understands the increasing need for scalability, capacity and high-speed network services for today’s business requirements. Ciena’s converged packet and coherent optical technology allows us to provide speed and capacity improvements to our international and domestic regional networks, creating a true, end-to-end 100G network to deliver today’s bandwidth-intensive services and applications.” - Pieter Poll, senior vice president of national and international network planning, engineering and construction, CenturyLink
- “Given CenturyLink’s position as a leader in business connectivity, cloud infrastructure and data center services, the deployment of our converged packet optical platform with 100G WaveLogic coherent optical processing, integrated packet switching and specialist services provides CenturyLink with a cost-optimized, programmable network. Additionally, we’re enabling CenturyLink to more efficiently scale and packetize its network to support the massive flood of traffic expected from cloud computing, video and other bandwidth hungry services.” - Philippe Morin, senior vice president, global field organization, Ciena
- Architected for network modernization, Ciena’s 6500 converges comprehensive Ethernet, TDM, and WDM capabilities into one platform to support cost-effective delivery of emerging and existing services—from the access edge to the backbone core.
- Ciena is the pioneer and market leader of coherent optical technology with more than 20,000 coherent 40G/100G line interfaces shipped to over 100 customers across the globe, for a total deployment of more than 20 million coherent kilometers.
- Ciena’s converged packet optical with WaveLogic coherent optical technology gives service providers significant bandwidth scalability, reliability and network intelligence – all key building blocks of an OPn network architecture.
- Coherent Application Note: Coherent Optical Processing for High-Capacity Networks
- Data Sheet: 6500 Packet-Optical Platform
- Ciena Insights: Ciena Honors Top BizConnect Channel Partners
- White Paper: The Case for Network Modernization
- White Paper: OPn Network Architecture
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts