HOUSTON, March 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- As part of the Wyle-led team, Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] has been selected by NASA's Johnson Space Center to provide biomedical, medical and health services in support of all human spaceflight programs. These services under the Human Health and Performance Contract (HHPC) monitor astronaut health and enable bioastronautics research that benefits life on Earth.
The potential contract value to Lockheed Martin is about $250 million over the expected 10-year life of the contract. Lockheed Martin is responsible for flight hardware development, facilitation of life sciences research conducted on the International Space Station (ISS), human factors engineering to optimize tools and experiments for astronauts in zero gravity, radiation analysis, space food development, flight/ground crew training, and life sciences data archival.
"Lockheed Martin has provided life sciences support at Johnson Space Center for more than 30 years and has supported America's human spaceflight program for more than 50 years," said Rick Hieb, vice president of exploration and mission support for Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions. "Together with Wyle, we apply that experience to ensure the high quality of science on human space missions and leverage the knowledge gained in space to enhance life here on Earth."HHPC supports several NASA programs and offices including the ISS, Orion, Advanced Exploration Systems, Space Technology Mission Directorate, Human Research Program and Commercial Crew and Cargo programs. Among its accomplishments in support of NASA's bioastronautics program, Lockheed Martin has:
- Supported every ISS crew through more than 60 experiments
- Partnered with Wyle to provide the second generation treadmill, an additional exercise option for ISS crews
- Delivered hardware for checking organic carbon content in the water from the ISS Water Recovery System, which purifies water from urine and perspiration
- And supported the certification and delivery of Robonaut, the first robot on the ISS.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV