HOUSTON, March 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- As part of the Wyle-led team, Lockheed Martin [NYSE: LMT] has been selected by NASA's Johnson Space Center to provide biomedical, medical and health services in support of all human spaceflight programs. These services under the Human Health and Performance Contract (HHPC) monitor astronaut health and enable bioastronautics research that benefits life on Earth.
The potential contract value to Lockheed Martin is about $250 million over the expected 10-year life of the contract. Lockheed Martin is responsible for flight hardware development, facilitation of life sciences research conducted on the International Space Station (ISS), human factors engineering to optimize tools and experiments for astronauts in zero gravity, radiation analysis, space food development, flight/ground crew training, and life sciences data archival.
"Lockheed Martin has provided life sciences support at Johnson Space Center for more than 30 years and has supported America's human spaceflight program for more than 50 years," said Rick Hieb, vice president of exploration and mission support for Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Global Solutions. "Together with Wyle, we apply that experience to ensure the high quality of science on human space missions and leverage the knowledge gained in space to enhance life here on Earth."HHPC supports several NASA programs and offices including the ISS, Orion, Advanced Exploration Systems, Space Technology Mission Directorate, Human Research Program and Commercial Crew and Cargo programs. Among its accomplishments in support of NASA's bioastronautics program, Lockheed Martin has:
- Supported every ISS crew through more than 60 experiments
- Partnered with Wyle to provide the second generation treadmill, an additional exercise option for ISS crews
- Delivered hardware for checking organic carbon content in the water from the ISS Water Recovery System, which purifies water from urine and perspiration
- And supported the certification and delivery of Robonaut, the first robot on the ISS.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts