TEWKSBURY, Mass., March 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- Raytheon Company (NYSE: RTN) delivered its eighth AN/TPY-2 radar to the Missile Defense Agency (MDA) in support of the U.S. combatant commands. An integral capability of the Ballistic Missile Defense System (BMDS), AN/TPY-2 is a mobile, X-band phased-array radar that helps protect the U.S., deployed forces, and America's friends and allies by searching, acquiring and tracking threat ballistic missiles and discriminating between threats and non-threats.
"Delivering the vital AN/TPY-2 helps meet the growing demand for radars that can help defend the U.S. and its allies from the more than 5,500 ballistic missiles MDA estimates are not controlled by the U.S., NATO, Russia or China," said Dave Gulla, vice president of Global Integrated Sensors in Raytheon's Integrated Defense Systems business. "The AN/TPY-2 has proven itself an indispensable component of our nation's ballistic missile defense and has performed flawlessly in every test to date against every category of ballistic missile, and in raid scenarios."
The AN/TPY-2 radar Raytheon delivered will serve in terminal mode as the fire control radar for the U.S. Army's Terminal High Altitude Area Defense missile defense system. Other forward-based AN/TPY-2's that are deployed around the globe cue the BMDS by detecting, tracking and discriminating enemy ballistic missiles in the ascent phase of flight.
About AN/TPY-2AN/TPY-2 is a high resolution, mobile, rapidly deployable X-band Radar capable of providing long-range acquisition, precision track and discrimination of all classes of ballistic missiles, from Short-Range Ballistic Missiles to Intercontinental Ballistic Missiles.
- AN/TPY-2 has performed flawlessly in both terminal and forward-based mode in all major tests.
- On Oct. 25, 2012, two AN/TPY-2 radars – one terminal and one forward-based – participated in FTI-01, the MDA's largest and most complex exercise. In a complex raid scenario involving multiple targets, both radars met or exceeded all test objectives.
- Forward-based AN/TPY-2's in Japan, Israel and Turkey are currently enabling the protection of the U.S., deployed troops, and U.S. friends and allies from the growing threat of short-, medium- and long-range missiles.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV