CARLSBAD, Calif., March 18, 2013 /PRNewswire/ -- ViaSat Inc. (Nasdaq: VSAT) is marking the one-year anniversary this month of the nationwide rollout of its Exede Internet service, which uses the ViaSat-1 satellite, the most advanced and highest capacity satellite in the world. The consistently speedy performance of the Exede residential broadband service has helped ViaSat reach more than 285,000 subscribers on ViaSat-1 in its first year of operation. The total subscriber count across all ViaSat satellites has surpassed 500,000 for the first time.
"Our results prove that driving down the cost of bandwidth can make satellite a better choice than slower terrestrial alternatives," said Mark Dankberg, chairman and CEO of ViaSat. "The market success of ViaSat-1 strengthens our commitment to delivering a series of new satellites that push the boundaries of what's possible in satellite broadband across a broad range of market opportunities."
The 12 Mbps baseline download speed offered by Exede Internet is eight times faster than previous generation satellite services. While the feasibility and value of such a major technology advance was initially questioned in the industry, the Exede experience has quickly demonstrated that there is a much bigger appetite for satellite broadband in the market than most people anticipated.Powered by ViaSat-1 – now officially recognized as the World's Highest Capacity Communications Satellite with a Guinness World Records title – Exede service has moved into the mainstream of Internet options. A February 2013 FCC report showed Exede Internet outperforming all other ISPs in delivering promised speeds to subscribers, with 90 percent of Exede subscribers receiving 140 percent or better of the advertised 12 Mbps speed during peak periods. And approximately 40 percent of new Exede subscribers are choosing the satellite service over other alternatives available to them, such as DSL, cable, and mobile wireless for fixed home use – a major shift from the previous generations of satellite Internet service, which were considered to be a "last resort" for those with no other Internet alternative. Beyond residential Internet, the ViaSat high-capacity satellite system is poised to re-shape communication services in other industries as well:
- Faster, easier-to-use, and more cost-effective communications and video streaming for live events, such as newsgathering, concerts, and sports, as well as emergency response operations.
- Improved in-flight Internet that can provide enough high-speed bandwidth for every passenger on the plane.
- Higher-definition, higher-volume mobile video gathering and dissemination for military operations.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV