- More than 12 million mobile deposit users have made it a "must have" for financial institutions
- Major bank reports saving $3.88 with each mobile check deposit over a teller deposit
- Mitek estimates Mobile Deposit has saved banks more than $100 million in transaction costs
SAN DIEGO, March 18, 2013 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Mitek (Nasdaq:MITK) ( www.miteksystems.com ), the pioneer behind Mobile Deposit® technology, today estimates that it has facilitated more than $40 billion in check deposits. Adoption for this innovative technology continues to grow, with more than 12 million Americans already depositing checks quickly and easily from their smartphones or tablets 1. Mitek's patented Mobile Deposit enables consumers to snap a picture of a check with their smartphone or tablet camera to make a deposit from anywhere, any time. Mobile Deposit is increasingly critical to engaging customers and growing mobile banking opportunities to maximize revenue opportunities, which is why more than 708 banks and credit unions have signed agreements to provide Mitek's Mobile Deposit to their customers.
As an example of the huge demand and widespread adoption of mobile imaging in banking, a major nationwide bank recently told the Wall Street Journal that customers are now depositing more than 100,000 checks every day through their mobile phones.
Mobile Deposit adoption has exploded because it is a win/win for banks and their customers. With Mobile Deposit, banks have lower check processing costs and customers have the freedom to deposit money on their schedule, from anywhere. In fact, a leading bank reported that in the last quarter of 2012, six percent of its consumer deposits were made through their Mobile Deposit application (QuickDeposit SM) enabled by Mitek, resulting in 95 percent lower costs than if the check had been deposited via teller 2. In addition, PNC Bank told analysts that mobile deposits save their organization $3.88 per transaction compared with a deposit made with a teller, and those savings amount to millions of dollars annually for the bank. Given publically available data, Mitek estimates that Mobile Deposit has saved banks more than $100 million since its inception.When looking at the Mobile Deposit phenomenon, analysts also report:
- Fifteen percent of all smartphone and tablet owners have already adopted mobile remote deposit capture, according to AlixPartners. 3
- Also according to AlixPartners, Mobile Deposit continues to be the number one mobile feature sought by all smartphone and tablet owners who would switch banks for mobile banking. 4
- Mobile Deposit is projected to expand to 30 percent of smartphone users by 2016 according to the Aite Group, meaning approximately 1 out of 3 consumers is expected to make deposits using their smartphones. 5
- Javelin Strategy & Research found that banks are racing to release Mobile Deposit because the shift in customer perception has made the technology an expected capability. 6
- The percentage of the largest financial institutions offering mobile RDC has almost tripled in the past two years, states Javelin Strategy & Research, with 64 percent of the top 25 retail banks offering Mobile Deposit in 2013, up from 48 percent in 2012 and 22 percent in 2011. 7
- The number of U.S. mobile banking users will double in the next five years and reach 108 million by 2017, accounting for 46 percent of U.S. bank account holders says Forrester Research. 8
- Mitek, James B. DeBello, president and CEO: "Since Mobile Deposit's invention in 2007, all of the top banks in the country, and many smaller banks and credit unions have come to depend on Mitek's Mobile Deposit as the cornerstone of their mobile strategy. Mobile Deposit is a runaway-hit with consumers and banks, and adoption rates continue to accelerate. We are committed to helping banks develop mobile imaging strategies that build on the success of Mobile Deposit."
- AlixPartners, Bob Hedges, managing director in the Financial Services Practice: "There is no other banking service that has as much consumer demand as Mobile Deposit, which has led to rapid and widespread adoption of the technology by financial services providers of all sizes. While its been a competitive differentiator for the first-moving banks, today banks and credit unions across the country are jumping on board because they realize that it has become 'table stakes' for consumers – and also delivers productivity gains."
- Conestoga Bank , Lori Adamski, executive vice president and chief operating officer: "Mobile Deposit can be credited with helping grow our overall customer base, as we saw a 10 percent increase in account openings in the first 13 months following its introduction. Now three years later, this service has proven to be a true differentiator and an integral part of our customer acquisition strategy."
- Chase customers use QuickDeposit to deposit checks from anywhere, including the zoo
- Newlyweds can't wait to deposit checks into their account
- Mobile banking from U.S. Bank helps a customer check an item off the "honey-do" list while brushing his teeth
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts