Morici: Flawed Republican Policies Weaken Appeal of Conservative Principles
Republicans can't explain how their positions benefit either fairness or growth, and hence, can't complain when liberals paint them as the party of the rich and big business.
On social policy it gets worse. For example, many Americans would accept equal rights for gays, and their lifestyle has few consequences for the liberties of their neighbors. By opposing gay rights, Republicans seek to expand, not limit, the role of government for the purpose of imposing their private moral judgments on others -- that's a hypocrisy that moderate, more tolerant voters reject.
By opposing amnesty for immigrant adults brought to this country as children by parents who entered America illegally, Republicans behave like Old Testament Pharisees -- more bent on absolutely enforcing the law than accomplishing justice and protecting liberty. After doing so poorly among Latinos and Asians in the last election, the GOP is reversing its position and embracing broader immigration reform.
However, as with other social issues, Republicans at first sought to use government to impose their prejudices on others. As public opinion made their position politically untenable, they came around but only after alienating large segments of voters.The GOP likely has permanently damaged its standing with gays, Latinos and even Asians, just as it did several generations ago with African-Americans. The country will be poorer for it. Conservative prescriptions for freedom of enterprise and limited government do offer the best path to a robust prosperity but a majority of voters won't accept Republican protection of privilege and prejudices as part of the bargain.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV