NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Doug Kass of Seabreeze Partners is known for his accurate stock market calls and keen insights into the economy, which he shares with RealMoney Pro readers in his daily trading diary.
Among his posts this past week, Kass offered a good investment choice if you believe in a self-sustaining global recovery, provided details on why the U.S. economy is not as rosy as some think and showed how he viewed the market ahead of Friday's action.
Please click here for information about subscribing to RealMoney Pro.
Originally published on Thursday, March 14 at 10:57 a.m. EST.
- If you believe in a strong, self-sustaining global economic recovery, the lagging FXI is a good long.
Originally published on Friday, March 15 at 10:09 a.m. EST. Interestingly, bond yields are not rising in the face of a better industrial producction number for February. I am not surprised, though, as I have been writing that the recent strength in the domestic economy should not be extrapolated. February production rose by nearly twice the expected +0.4%, and January was revised to flat from -0.2%. As I have been emphasizing, fourth-quarter 2012 real GDP was understated due to inventory disaccumulation. This disaccumulation has reveresed in first quarter 2013, and we are seeing an inventory/production bounceback. Fourth-quarter 2012 real GDP was negative. First-quarter 2013 real GDP should be about +2.5% -- link the two together and we get punk growth of only about 1.25%. And since the inflation number input by the government is phony, real economic growth in the domestic economy is probably even lower -- perhaps under 1%. I continue to believe that the recovery in GDP will be short-lived (as inventory growth is normalized), and apparently, the bond market agrees with me. Thus, the foundation for corporate profit growth and stocks is weaker than most assume.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV