If there is a silver lining at all, it is for investors. One can anticipate that any deficit cutting arrangement will be the furthest thing from austerity, at least in the short term.
Similarly, the Fed has been emboldened by its quantitative easing, and will not choose to risk recessionary pressure by exiting the strategy anytime soon.
Stock assets may get whacked for any combination of reasons, from eurozone debt troubles in Spain or Italy to another debt ceiling showdown in the U.S. to lower corporate profits to sub-par economic data to generic or seasonal profit-taking.
Yet, one should still look to pick up "faves" on pullbacks until and unless rising rates genuinely alter the relative attractiveness of stock shares.Stock investments that could outperform whether rates remain the same or even rise include "Big Pharma" and Internet mainstays. Yep, as surprising as it sounds I'd go right to the top of the five-year leaderboard on any pullback. Realistically, pharmaceuticals aren't particularly sensitive to economic changes, interest rates or household debt. I would favor PowerShares Dynamic Pharma (PJP) or Market Vectors Pharma (PPH). Moreover, First Trust Internet (FDN) may see a bit of volatility, yet there's always demand for wide moat winners like the Googles (GOOG) and the eBays (EBAY) of the world. A healthy correction in FDN would pique my interest. In contrast, real estate via iShares FTSE NAREIT Residential Real Estatet (REZ) and retail via XRT would be less likely to handle any rate sensitivity. While I don't foresee much in the way of significant rate increases in 2013, it still might be beneficial to rotate out of these Fed-fueled superstars. Follow @etfexpert This article was written by an independent contributor, separate from TheStreet's regular news coverage.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV