Airlines for America Highlights the Pot of Gold that Goes to Washington with Every Ticket Purchased in New Infographic
March 15, 2013
Airlines for America (A4A), the industry trade organization for the leading U.S. airlines, today released an
infographic highlighting the excessive tax burden imposed on its customers, including those travelers taking to the skies this weekend to attend
St. Patrick's Day celebrations across the nation.
This weekend, millions of Americans will wear the Celtic crown, touting their love affair with all things
and its majesty, and even with all the luck of the Irish, passengers are still paying a lot of green toward their airfare taxes.
The U.S. aviation industry is subjected to 17 different taxes, with approximately 20 percent – or
– of a typical
roundtrip domestic ticket going directly to
That's like paying for a green beer that's 20 percent foam, and something consumers across the country would refer to as blarney. In fact, federal tax rates on air travel exceed those of alcohol and tobacco sales, the so-called "sin" products that are taxed at the highest levels to discourage their use.
That's why this
St. Patrick's Day
weekend, A4A is renewing its call for a National Airline Policy that will help reduce these taxes and ensure ticket prices remain affordable for both consumers and businesses, so travelers can keep more of their green bucks in their back pockets. A4A's proposed policy includes the following key points:
- Reduces taxes and fees on airfares so travelers and shippers can keep their pockets greener.
- Reforms antiquated regulations that add unnecessary costs and do not benefit customers or safety.
- Modernizes the nation's Air Traffic Control System to reduce delays and emissions at the top o' the skies.
- Levels the playing field to allow for a globally competitive U.S. airline industry (like offering more services and routes to Ireland!)
- Stabilizes energy prices through a balanced and comprehensive national energy policy.
Learn more by following the
National Airline Policy
campaign on Facebook at
, Twitter at
and Google+ at
, and sign the petition at
Annually, commercial aviation helps drive more than
in U.S. economic activity and more than 10 million U.S. jobs. A4A airline
and their affiliates transport more than 90 percent of all U.S. airline passenger and cargo traffic. America needs a cohesive National Airline Policy that will support the integral role the nation's airlines play in connecting people and goods globally, spur the nation's economic growth and create more high-paying jobs.
For more information about the
National Airline Policy
,For more information about the airline industry, visit
and follow us on Twitter
SOURCE Airlines for America
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link reveal their investment tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
Jim Cramer's protégé, David Peltier, uncovers low dollar stocks with extraordinary upside potential that are flying under Wall Street's radar.
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts