Secretary Of Education Seeks Revocation Of Philadelphia-Based Solomon Charter School's Charter
School is Violation of the State Charter School Law
HARRISBURG, Pa., March 15, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Citing significant and severe violations of the Pennsylvania Public School Code, Secretary of Education Ron Tomalis today filed charges to revoke the cyber charter of Solomon Charter School in Philadelphia.
"Solomon officials have consistently demonstrated their inability to adhere to the school's governing charter and operate within the confines of the Charter School Law," Tomalis said. "The Public School Code is explicit – cyber charter schools are to offer a significant portion of their curriculum through the Internet or other electronic means.''
"Since opening its doors in September 2012, Solomon has primarily operated as a brick-and-mortar charter school, circumventing the brick-and-mortar charter school authorization process, and negating the essential basis on which the charter was granted – that the school would provide a 'cyber' education to its students.''In the filing of charges, Tomalis noted several reasons for revoking Solomon's charter, including:
- Failure to deliver a significant portion of instruction to its students through the Internet or other electronic means;
- Failure to provide or reimburse for each student enrolled all equipment, technology and services necessary for the online delivery of curriculum and instruction;
- Using its physical facility for purposes other than those permitted for a cyber charter school;
- Failure to provide for each employee of the school enrollment in the Public School Employees' Retirement System; and
- Violating provisions of law from which it has not been exempted.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV