Lead Market Update (March 13, 2013)
Lead for three-month delivery is now trading around $2,190 per metric ton (MT) on the London Metal Exchange. That's down from $2,417 a month ago, according to data from Metal-Pages.
Credit Suisse forecasts that China's lead supplies will exceed demand by about 206,000 MT this year, which is enough to supply the country's factories for about 15 days, according to a February 19 Bloomberg article. A large part of the growth in the country's supply is expected to come from recycled lead as consumers replace the batteries in the cars and e-bikes that they have purchased in recent years.
Even so, global lead demand is expected to rise about 7.5 percent this year, to 5 million tons, largely due to China's recovery; the country's economy is expected to grow at a rate of 8.1 percent in 2013, up from 7.8 percent in 2012, with some analysts expecting that growth to tighten up the lead market. On that note, in January, commodities consulting firm INTL FCStone called for a surplus of just 50,000 MT this year.
Supply exceeded demand by 64,000 MT in 2012, according to the International Lead and Zinc Study Group's 2012 annual lead review, released February 19. Global production rose 11.5 percent during the year, including a 20.4-percent increase in China.Lead Market Update (March 13, 2013) from Lead Investing News
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV