Ohio Kids Will 'Kick Butts' On Wednesday, March 20
State Leaders Urged to Support Tobacco Prevention Initiatives
WASHINGTON, March 15, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Kids in Ohio will stand up against tobacco on March 20 as they join thousands of young people nationwide for the 18 th annual Kick Butts Day. More than 1,200 events are planned across the United States. (See below for a list of local events.)
Organized by the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids and sponsored by United Health Foundation, Kick Butts Day is an annual celebration of youth leadership and activism in the fight against tobacco use. On Kick Butts Day, youth will encourage their peers to stay tobacco-free. They will also educate their communities about the dangers of tobacco and the tobacco industry's harmful marketing practices.This year on Kick Butts Day, the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids is highlighting the tobacco industry's products and marketing that entice kids to use tobacco. According to the Federal Trade Commission, tobacco companies spend $8.5 billion a year – nearly $1 million each hour – to market cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products. This marketing has an impact on kids:
- While the U.S. has greatly reduced youth smoking, 18.1 percent of high school students still smoke, and nearly 1,000 kids become regular smokers each day. Among youth smokers, 86 percent prefer Marlboro, Newport and Camel, which are the three most heavily advertised cigarette brands, according to the government's National Survey on Drug Use and Health.
- Tobacco companies have also introduced new products that appeal to kids, including cheap, sweet, colorfully-packaged small cigars that look just like cigarettes. Many cigars come in fruit and candy flavors such as strawberry, vanilla, peach and apple.
- In a 2012 report, the U.S. Surgeon General concluded that tobacco marketing causes kids to start and continue using tobacco products.
- On March 16, community members will run in the David Foster Memorial 5K Run in Marysville to publicize tobacco prevention and the importance of early detection of lung cancer. Bunsold Middle School students will display tobacco prevention projects at the starting line of the race. Time: 9 AM. Location: Mill Creek Park, Marysville. Contact: Rebecca Shaffer (614) 441-2660.
- The American Lung Association will host a "Don't be a Zombie to Tobacco Day" that will include meetings with legislators, a "zombie march," a youth advocate press conference and a behind-the-scenes tour of the Statehouse. Time: 9 AM – 3 PM (Advocacy Day); 11:30 AM (Press Conference). Location: Vern Riffe Center, 77 S. High Street, Columbus. Contact: Shelly Kiser (740) 739-0187.
- Members of the teen program Preventing Assault and Violence Education will participate in the American Lung Association's zombie-themed advocacy day at the state capitol in Columbus to raise awareness of tobacco-related issues. Time: 9 AM – 3 PM. Location: Vern Riffe Center, 77 S. High Street, Columbus. Contact: Kristen Frame (614) 209-2665.
- Community Action for Capable Youth (CACY) will host its second annual art show to highlight the artwork of students, grades 3 -12, of Richland County . The artwork will portray the damaging effects of tobacco on health and quality of life. Time: 4:00 PM. Location: Richland County Longview Center, Lower Level Conference Room, 1495 W. Longview Avenue, Mansfield. Contact: Tracee Anderson (419) 774-5683.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV