Connecticut Kids Will 'Kick Butts' On Wednesday, March 20
State Leaders Urged to Support Tobacco Prevention Initiatives
WASHINGTON, March 15, 2013 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- Kids in Connecticut will stand up against tobacco on March 20 as they join thousands of young people nationwide for the 18 th annual Kick Butts Day. More than 1,200 events are planned across the United States. (See below for a list of local events.)
Organized by the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids and sponsored by United Health Foundation, Kick Butts Day is an annual celebration of youth leadership and activism in the fight against tobacco use. On Kick Butts Day, youth will encourage their peers to stay tobacco-free. They will also educate their communities about the dangers of tobacco and the tobacco industry's harmful marketing practices.This year on Kick Butts Day, the Campaign for Tobacco-Free Kids is highlighting the tobacco industry's products and marketing that entice kids to use tobacco. According to the Federal Trade Commission, tobacco companies spend $8.5 billion a year – nearly $1 million each hour – to market cigarettes and smokeless tobacco products. This marketing has an impact on kids:
- While the U.S. has greatly reduced youth smoking, 18.1 percent of high school students still smoke, and nearly 1,000 kids become regular smokers each day. Among youth smokers, 86 percent prefer Marlboro, Newport and Camel, which are the three most heavily advertised cigarette brands, according to the government's National Survey on Drug Use and Health.
- Tobacco companies have also introduced new products that appeal to kids, including cheap, sweet, colorfully-packaged small cigars that look just like cigarettes. Many cigars come in fruit and candy flavors such as strawberry, vanilla, peach and apple.
- In a 2012 report, the U.S. Surgeon General concluded that tobacco marketing causes kids to start and continue using tobacco products.
- Mayor Tommy Dunn of Wolcott will judge a poster contest sponsored by Living in Safe Alternatives, Inc. The posters will spread awareness about tobacco research and will be on display throughout the town. Time: 5:30 PM. Location: 1615 Wolcott Road, Wolcott. Contact: Diane Capaldo (203) 879-9233.
- The Montville Youth Service Bureau in Uncasville will be sponsoring various activities to show students the dangers of smoking, including "They put WHAT in a Cigarette!?" and a scavenger hunt. Time: 3 PM. Location: 289 Norwich New London Turnpike, Uncasville. Contact: Kimberly Grant (860) 848-7724 ext. 112.
- The Southington Drug Task Force will sponsor a "Cups in a Fence" display at DePaolo Middle School to showcase various tobacco-free slogans to students throughout the week. Location: 385 Pleasant Street, Southington. Contact: Trish Kenefick (860) 778-6639.
- Students at Brien McMahon High School in Norwalk will participate in a variety of activities including a "Cups in a Fence" display, tombstones along the hall and airing out Big Tobacco's "Dirty Laundry." A film festival after school will feature PSAs and films about tobacco. Time: 7:30 AM. Location: 300 Highland Avenue, Norwalk. Contact: Tori Sullivan (203) 979-0148.
- On March 21, youth from the Students Against Destructive Decisions (SADD) chapter of Greenwich High School will gather after school to hear the First Selectman of Greenwich, Peter Tesei, read a proclamation for Kick Butts Day. Time: 2:30 PM. Location: 10 Hillside Road, Greenwich. Contact: Amy Badini (203) 253-2160.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV