The American dream of homeownership is alive and well even after the battering prices and budgets took during the housing crisis, according to a survey released today by Chase. A total of 87% of respondents said owning their home is something they have always wanted.
“Owning a home is at the heart of most Americans’ dreams,” said Kevin Watters, Chief Executive Officer of Mortgage Banking at Chase. “And people are saving as much as possible to achieve homeownership.”
While 66% believe housing is a good financial investment, 75% see it as an important part of raising a family.
“Owning a home will not only give my husband and me pride and roots, but it will also bring pride in my children and respect from my friends and family,” said one respondent.Potential home buyers are gaining confidence. Compared to six months ago, nearly twice as many potential first-time buyers are optimistic about being able to save for a down payment over the next six months. Overall, 56% of consumers expect their finances to improve over the next six months while only 8% expect them to worsen. “First-time home buyers are crucial to the housing market and the overall economy – and to their communities,” Watters said. “As families buy their first home, they are investing in their communities and enable other families to move up. That will eventually spur more new construction, generating additional jobs.” Other findings include:
- Twice as many consumers who refinanced plan on spending more over the next six months than those who did not refinance.
- 68% of renters want to own a home, but cite saving money to purchase a home as becoming increasingly difficult. While pulling together a down payment has always been challenging, tighter requirements have raised the hurdle.
- 60% of home owners plan to invest in improving their property in the next year.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts