You're hoping that they're not so devoted to what they have that they ignore what's coming, as Digital Equipment Corp. CEO Ken Olsen famously dismissed personal computers. (Olsen later said he was dismissing digital homes.)
That's always the risk. But match the risk to the potential reward. Note that 3D Systems, which has the longest financial track record, has been growing at nearly 50% per year for some time with rising operating margins. Note that there are bigger companies that could give you a big payday buying these guys out.
I think the risks are worth taking. There are technical traders at 4Traders insisting the next move in this sector is up. Fundamentally, I agree.
Just remember that technology is always a roller coaster, and at some point you may want to get off.
At the time of publication, the author was long DDD.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV