NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- JPMorgan Chase's (JPM) Senate subcommittee hearing will probably generate plenty of negative headlines, but it is unlikely to have much impact on the stock, according to a report from KBW analyst Brian Gardner.
On Friday, the Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations led by Senator Carl Levin (D., Mich) will question officials from the bank on the "London Whale" trade that caused more than $6 billion losses last year.
The subcommittee's report released Thursday afternoon said the bank officials ignored warnings about the increasing riskiness of the trades in its synthetic credit portfolio and misled investors and regulators about the scope of its losses. For more on the report's findings read Senate Report Details JPMorgan Trading Abuses .
Ina Drew, who oversaw the trades, will be testifying for the first time. Former CFO Doug Braunstein and former risk managers at the unit will also appear before the committee.Still, the Senate hearing is likely to be "more smoke than fire" according to Gardner's report Friday, as there has been "significant disclosure" about the trades already. CEO Jamie Dimon has already testified twice before Congress and the management has been questioned on the issue at various earnings calls and conferences over the past year. The analyst draws a comparison to the subcommittee's 2010 hearing on Goldman Sachs regarding its Abacus deal. The investment bank was taken to task for selling securities with little or no disclosure that they were created by hedge fund investor John Paulson, who was betting against them. "In both situations, most of the bad news is already known by the market and priced in prior to the hearings," the analyst wrote in the report. "In
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV